Gluten Free Living – 2015
Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Streusel Muffins are moist and delicious! Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits. Add them to bananas (another favorite), and presto, you have a wonderful combination of flavors that always works. It works well in pancakes, and it certainly works well in these luscious muffins. Along with strawberry-banana Greek yogurt, these muffins have a lovely streusel topping with walnuts and a vanilla cream icing.
On top of that, I used a gluten free flour with these muffins to have a gluten free option, but if you don’t suffer from gluten intolerance, then you can use regular flour instead. Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Streusel Muffins make a superb muffin for holidays like Easter or Mother’s Day, special occasion brunches or parties, or just because you enjoy muffins or strawberries or both!
When I made breakfast goodies for our church last month, I made seven different kinds of muffins including Blueberry, Raspberry, Apple, Pina Colada, Cherry and Mixed Berry. They were all extremely well received, but my two gluten free versions were snatched up quickly, and by folks that had no allergies to gluten! I was amazed. Those who were trying to maintain a gluten free diet loved these muffins as well.
I have to admit this is one of my favorite muffin recipes and I’ve made it almost a dozen times with different combinations of fruit and nuts, always with great success. I do recommend one change, however, if you end up using gluten free flour. The baking mix I used was of a finer quality than normal unbleached flour, so to achieve the same consistency as regular flour, I recommend adding an additional 1/2 cup of gluten free flour to the batter so the muffins won’t fall quite so flat after baking. I’ve included that notation in the recipe card below.
If you’re looking for a scrumptious gluten free muffin recipe, Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Streusel Muffins are some of the best you’ll ever eat. The taste is extraordinary, and you’ll have a hard time believing these are even gluten free!
Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Streusel Muffins are amazing.
Each muffin is filled with strawberries, banana and walnuts from the streusel topping.
I had so many people stop by an tell me how much they enjoyed these muffins!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Place softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, baking powder, baking soda, heavy whipping cream and strawberry banana Greek yogurt in a mixing bowl.
Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add gluten free flour, mashed bananas, and diced strawberries.
Mix with a wooden spoon just until combined. Do not overmix the batter.
Spray muffin tins with cooking spray. Or you can grease tins and flour them with gluten free flour. Spread batter into muffin tins until full.
I used these ingredients to make the streusel topping.
Melt butter. Add remaining streusel ingredients and stir to combine. Spread mixture evenly over top of each muffin and press streusel lightly into muffin batter so ingredients adhere.
Bake muffins in a preheated 425 oven for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool muffins before adding glaze.
I used these ingredients to make the glaze. Heavy whipping cream works much better than milk in this recipe.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Spoon icing ingredients into a zip lock bag. Zip the bag closed. Cut off a very small tip from one corner. Pipe icing over muffins in any design you desire.
The crunchiness from the streusel topping blends so well with these fruit-filled muffins. Every bite is spectacular.
Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Streusel Muffins are great for company, holiday or special occasion breakfasts, or brunches.
Here’s the recipe.
GLUTEN FREE STRAWBERRY BANANA STREUSEL MUFFINS
(Recipe inspired from my Strawberry Pecan Streusel Muffins)
- [b]STREUSEL TOPPING:[/b][br]
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup [url href=”http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/baking-mixes/” target=”_blank” title=”pamela’s gluten free pancake and baking mix”]Pamela’s[/url] gluten free pancake and baking mix
- ½ cup chopped walnuts[br]
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5.3-oz. container [url href=”http://www.chobani.com/” target=”_blank” title=”chobani”]Chobani[/url] Strawberry Banana Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups [url href=”http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/baking-mixes/” target=”_blank” title=”pamela’s gluten free baking mix”]Pamela’s[/url] gluten free pancake and baking mix
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 2 cups fresh, diced strawberries
- 1 large banana, mashed with a fork[br]
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- The mixture will be crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spray muffin pans with gluten free cooking spray, or grease and flour tins with gluten free flour.
- Set aside.[br]
- In a medium bowl combine butter, sugars, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, salt and whipping cream and mix with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Stir in flour, mashed banana and strawberries gently with a wooden spoon until ingredients are just moistened.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Spoon the muffin batter into prepared muffin tins all the way up to the top.
- Crumble the crumb topping over each muffin and press the topping down gently into the muffins.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°.
- Adjust heat to 350° and bake for 15-19 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool about 10 minutes.
- Add glaze. [br]
- Whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Allow muffins to cool about 10 minutes in muffin tins.
- Remove muffins from baking tins and place on wire rack.
- Place glaze mixture in a zip lock bag and cut off a small tip of one corner.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins.
Every bite of Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Streusel Muffins is so awesome, you’ll be hard pressed to stop at eating just one muffin!
These muffins are so rich and sweet they’re almost like eating dessert!
If you enjoy bananas and strawberries, you’ll love Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Streusel Muffins.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!