Baked Pizza Pasta is awesome. It’s one of those loaded pizza casseroles with both Italian sausage and pepperoni, plus of course, it wouldn’t be Italian if there wasn’t lots of mozzarella cheese and other gooey deliciousness. One of the nice things about this recipe is you don’t have to precook the pasta. You just stir it into the tomato sauce with all the other ingredients and it cooks on the stove.
You can also make this a one-dish pizza pasta by cooking the whole recipe in a Dutch oven or extra large skillet, although I pre-made the recipe so I baked it later.
Last month I was looking for some kind of easy Italian dish to make as an entree for a potluck at our church. Most folks, even kids, will enjoy something with an Italian flavor or style to it. One look at this recipe and I knew I had to make it.
And, I would have made it in a single pot like the original recipe indicated, except that I needed to take it to a potluck and I wanted to assemble it just up to the baking stage and refrigerate it for 24 hours first. So I ended up making this as a baked casserole rather than entirely on the stove.
Baked Pizza Pasta turned out so scrumptious. It’s a savory, cheesy, sumptuous treat that everyone loves. In fact, the dish was pretty well scraped out and clean by the time I was ready to take it home. It’s one of those dishes that you won’t be able to get enough of–especially if you enjoy the twin flavors of Italian sausage and pepperoni.
Try this delightful recipe the next time you get the urge for something Italian. I guarantee it’s kid-friendly, and if you choose to use gluten free noodles, you can even make this gluten free.
Baked Pizza Pasta is amazing. It’s so easy–especially if you prepare it in one pan.
If you love pizza, you will love this tasty pasta dish.
While I baked this entree, you can also leave it in the Dutch oven and melt the cheese on top and serve straight from the pan (or large skillet), making this a one-dish pizza pasta entree.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. You can also use a gluten free pasta if you need to make this recipe gluten free.
Saute pepperonis for a few minutes in a large skillet until crispy. Remove pepperonis to paper towel to drain.
To same skillet add onions and red pepper flakes. Saute a few minutes until onions soften. Add garlic and saute another minute or so.
Saute Italian sausage in same pan until no pink remains. Add tomato paste and saute an additional minute or so.
I had to move the mixture to a Dutch oven because my skillet wasn’t big enough. Add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth.
Add uncooked pasta and oregano and stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer and add half of the pepperonis. Cover Dutch oven with lid and reduce heat to low. Cook about 15-20 minutes or until pasta cooks through.
Check seasonings. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can finish the rest of this in the Dutch oven or you can refrigerate for up to 24 hours before baking. I placed the mixture into a greased 9×13″ glass baking dish and refrigerated it about 24 hours before baking it about 30 minutes minutes or so until bubbly.
STOVE TOP METHOD:
If the mixture is hot all you need to do is top it with cheese and pepperoni and allow the cheese to melt in the Dutch oven. Serve right from the dish.
If you have to prepare this ahead of time like I did, then refrigerate until ready to bake. Place casserole in a 350 oven and bake until bubbly – about 30 minutes. Then top with cheese and remaining pepperonis and bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese melts.
Garnish dish with fresh basil, if desired.
Every bite of Baked Pizza Pasta is incredibly sumptuous.
Here’s the recipe.
BAKED PIZZA PASTA
(Recipe adapted from Number 2 Pencil)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 6-oz. package of mini pepperoni
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 8-oz bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz. can low-sodium chicken broth
- 8-oz. dried rotini or fusilli pasta
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley or basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Sauté mini pepperonis for 1-2 minutes, until they start to crispen.
- Remove pepperonis to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add onion and red pepper flakes to pan and sauté until onions start to soften and become translucent.
- Add garlic.
- Crumble the sausage into the pan, breaking it up with a fork or spatula as it cooks.
- After sausage has browned add tomato paste.
- Cook about one minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, uncooked pasta and oregano.
- Stir ingredients to combine well.
- Bring to a simmer and stir in half of mini pepperonis.
- Cover Dutch oven with lid and reduce heat to low.
- Allow ingredients to cook, covered, until the pasta is cooked through and sauce has thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir ingredients.
- Check seasonings.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. [br]
- Top with cheese and remaining pepperonis.
- Replace lid on Dutch oven and allow cheese to melt approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil strips or leaves and serve straight from the Dutch oven.[br]
- Pour ingredients into a greased 9×13” glass baking dish.
- Top with cheese and remaining pepperonis.
- Bake about 5-10 minutes until cheese melts.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or basil strips.
Baked Pizza Pasta can be made on the stove top or made ahead and baked in the oven like I did.
You will drool over this tasty entree.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $19.00Was: $24.99