Gluten Free Living – 2016
Montreal Steak Stew is a fantastic way to use up leftover steak! It’s filled with leeks, mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash, potatoes and tomatoes. I seasoned it with marjoram, thyme and a seasoning blend of lavender, sage & rosemary. The steaks already had Montreal Steak seasoning on them for flavor, and I added Worcestershire and liquid smoke to amp up the flavors even more. I used a gluten free flour to thicken the stew, but regular flour can be used if you’re not gluten intolerant. It was one tasty stew.
Another easy thing about this recipe (after cutting up all the veggies), is that it all goes in the crockpot. I cooked most of the stew for a few hours before adding the squash at the end. If it’s added at the beginning it will disintegrate by the end of the cooking time, so I added it about 30-45 minutes before the stew was ready. It was perfectly cooked that way and not mushy.
I’m not big on reheating and eating leftover steaks but I make them into stew all the time. Almost any leftover beef can be made into a stew and I’ve done it with pot roast and brisket. For those trying to stretch their dollars this is a great way to do it. Almost any veggie will work too. Try adding corn, asparagus, green beans, peas–whatever you have on hand–in addition to any that I’ve used.
Give Montreal Steak Stew a try the next time you have leftover steak on your hands and you don’t know what to do with it! If you haven’t previously added Montreal Steak Seasoning to your steaks, then add about 1/2 tsp. (or more to taste) to the stew during cooking. Otherwise, just sit back and enjoy this delectable soup with a few slices of your favorite Crusty Bread.
Montreal Steak Stew is a tasty way to use up leftover steaks!
Add your favorite French Bread and you have a main dish meal that’s hearty, filling and very satisfying.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients plus gluten free flour.
I had 2-3 lbs. of leftover steak. Cut beef in cubes.
Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Toss cubed steak into crockpot. Add beef broth. If you didn’t cook your steaks with Montreal Steak Seasoning or have raw beef add 1/2 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning here.
Add leeks, onions, celery, bell peppers, carrots and red potatoes.
Add mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, seasonings, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke.
Cover with lid and cook on high for 2-3 hours, until veggies are tender.
Add zucchini and yellow squash and cook an additional 30-45 minutes or until veggies are tender but not mushy.
Combine gluten free flour and water and whisk until no lumps remain.
Add paste to stew ingredients and stir gently to combine. Heat through until thickened.
Garnish with additional thyme, rosemary or other herbs as desired.
Montreal Steak Stew is chocked full of veggies and steak.
Cooking this stew in the crockpot makes it so easy.
Here’s the recipe.
MONTREAL STEAK STEW
(My own concoction)
- 1 to 1 ½ lbs. Montreal Seasoned Steak, cut in cubes
- 1 large leek, green top removed, sliced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 8-oz. container sliced mushrooms
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced (any color will do)
- 3 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 5-6 small to medium red potatoes, cubed
- 6-8 small roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 extra large cloves garlic, minced, or about 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 2 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. [url href=”https://www.colgin.com/liquid-smoke.php” target=”_blank”]liquid smoke[/url]
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- ½ tsp. lavender/sage/rosemary blend (or use about 1/8 tsp. each of lavender, sage leaves and crushed rosemary)
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- ½ cup [url href=”http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/baking-mixes/pamelas-baking-pancake-mix/” target=”_blank”]gluten free flour[/url] (or use regular flour)
- Place steak and beef broth in a large crockpot.
- Add leeks, onions, mushrooms, celery, bell peppers, carrots, red potatoes, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and seasonings.
- Cover with lid and cook on high about 3 hours or until veggies are fork tender.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash and cook an additional 30-45 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Combine flour with enough water to make a thin paste.
- Pour flour mixture into crockpot and stir to combine.
- If necessary, add additional flour/water mixture to thicken stew to desired consistency.
This is a great way to use up garden veggies or even leftovers.
The seasonings and sauces added to this stew make it irresistible.
Montreal Steak Stew is a tasty gluten free soup that’s great comfort food any time of the year.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
[amazon_link asins=’B00B7N00JU,B01LWBPRF5,B00004OCOT’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cantstayoutof-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’462cbcde-2140-11e7-9368-45fd6d93b628′]