Teresa’s Bake Shop – Christmas Cookie Extravaganza – 2012
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies are the ultimate in whoopie pie-type cookies! Two wonderful red velvet cookies are sandwiched by a luscious cream cheese and coconut filling and rolled in finely diced pecans. These sandwich cookies are so yummy, rich, decadent, spectacular! We love these marvelous cookies. They are especially festive for holiday parties or even for Valentine’s Day parties with their pretty red color.
We made these a couple of years ago for our Christmas Cookie Extravaganza and then realized they had a cream cheese filling so I couldn’t ship them. We ended up buying a store bought cream cheese frosting out of a can that was good but not the same as a delicious homemade frosting. This year we made these for a couple of other parties so I made the fabulous cream cheese and coconut filling that goes with them.
I found this recipe at allrecipes.com a few years ago. You will really love this great recipe. It’s so incredibly rich. Your family and company will love this A-M-A-Z-I-N-G sandwich cookie. You won’t be disappointed by trying it out this holiday season. Any guests, coworkers, neighbors or family members you share these cookies with will swoon after a bite of this fabulous cookie.
When I first posted this recipe in December 2012, I was still posting recipes with an iPhone camera for the pictures. They were blurry and grainy, but even worse, I used too many props and decorations so the pictures were gaudy and overdone. Sometimes less really is more!
I recently remade this recipe (December 2015) to pass our at our church’s Christmas celebration for the city and community we’re a part of. I passed out plenty of these cookies and they were gobbled down really quickly. 🙂 Everyone loved them. I think you will too.
Red Velvet Sandwich cookies are some of the most delicious cookies you’ll ever eat!
Rich, decadent, luscious Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies are a great holiday treat. Take a platter of these jewels along to your office parties and everyone will snap them up in no time.
Don’t these Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies just make you drool? There’s lots of amazing cream cheese and coconut filling in every bite.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the cookies.
Empty the cake mix into a mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil and vanilla.
Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon until well mixed.
I scooped the dough with a cookie scoop.
Place dough on cookie sheets that are well greased. If the pans aren’t greased well you will have difficulty getting the cookies to come up without breaking off pieces of them. I do not recommend using cooking spray for these cookies.
Bake at 375 about 12 minutes or until cookies begin to crack a little.
I used these ingredients for the icing.
Make filling: Soften cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Add softened butter and mix with an electric mixer until well combined. Add vanilla and either evaporated milk, heavy whipping cream, or half-and-half. I think even whole milk would be fine. Mix together all ingredients with an electric mixer.
Add powdered sugar and mix to combine.
Add coconut and stir in with a wooden spoon.
Here’s the filling ready to be spread on the cookies.
Spread one side of the bottom of a cookie with icing. While I used a lot of icing on each cookie you can double the icing ingredients if you really like a thick whoopie pie icing.
Put the icing on half of the cookies. I try to match up the cookies with others of very similar shape.
Top the cream cheese and coconut filling with another cookie. Then sprinkle the pecans onto the icing. I tapped the nuts slightly into the icing so they would adhere properly.
Let your eyeballs feast on this luscious cream cheese and coconut frosting.
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies are really fabulous cookies. You will need to refrigerate these cookies after making them since they have cream cheese icing in the middle. They make an elegant holiday treat. The filling is what makes these cookies so special.
Here’s the recipe.
RED VELVET SANDWICH COOKIES
(Recipe adapted from Dawn at allrecipes.com)
- 1 18.25-oz. box [url href=”http://www.duncanhines.com/” target=”_blank” title=”duncan hines red velvet cake mix”]Duncan Hines [/url]red velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- Mix together cake mix, eggs, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Scoop dough with a small cookie scoop.
- Place 2 inches apart on a very well-greased baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven until the tops start to crack, about 12 minutes.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- After filling with icing, refrigerate cookies until ready to serve.
- 4-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. half-and-half, cream or evaporated milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup coconut
- 2 cups Imperial confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, butter, evaporated milk or cream, and vanilla.
- Mix with an electric mixer.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well with each addition.
- Stir in coconut with a wooden spoon.
- If consistency is too stiff, add more milk.
- Place the chopped pecans in a bowl.
- Spread a generous amount of icing on the bottom of a cookie, sandwich it with another cookie.
- Press firmly so that the icing comes all the way out to the edge.
- Roll the edges of the sandwich cookies in the chopped pecans.
- Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Don’t these Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies look magnificent?
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies are such a delight. But they’re not only great for Christmas baking. Try them out for Valentine’s Day and special occasions like anniversaries and birthdays, too. Your friends and family will love them.
Consider serving these festive treats to your holiday guests.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $16.95Was: $18.99
Price: $12.64Was: $14.90
Price: $39.99Was: $49.21