Gluten Free Living – 2015
Gluten Free Veggie Breakfast Casserole is one delicious breakfast dish. It’s filled with lots of veggies, cheese and half-and-half, and I’ve used gluten free bread instead of regular bread. This one has no meat, just veggies. It has terrific texture as well as taste. While I made this and refrigerated it overnight, you can also bake it right away, if desired. While I made Gluten Free Veggie Breakfast Casserole for breakfast, this would also make a great Meatless Monday dish for supper.
When I was asked to make breakfast for 80 women for a Ladies’ Conference at our church at the end of February, it was my goal to make several different kinds of breakfast casseroles so they didn’t all taste the same. I have two friends at church who’re on gluten free diets and also can’t eat pork because it makes them sick. Most breakfast casseroles use ham, bacon or sausage–all pork. While you can now find chicken and turkey sausage, I decided to make a vegetarian casserole instead.
This casserole turned out so well. I used so many different veggies: spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers (in several colors), yellow squash and zucchini. It’s layered over top of gluten free bread cubes which provide body and substance to the casserole. Then cheese, half-and-half cream and eggs are poured over top making a souffle-type casserole dish that’s spectacular in taste. I seasoned the casserole with Italian seasoning which made this casserole quite scrumptious and flavored everything wonderfully.
If you’re looking for a fantastic gluten free casserole for special occasion breakfasts, holidays like Easter or Mother’s Day, or Baby Shower brunches, then Gluten Free Veggie Breakfast Casserole is the dish for you! If you don’t have gluten intolerance, then use regular bread instead. The nice thing about breakfast casseroles is you can make them the night before, then you pop them in the oven first thing in the morning. By the time everybody is up and going, breakfast is ready. Yum, yum, good.
Gluten Free Veggie Breakfast Casserole is a delicious souffle-type breakfast.
This casserole is filled with broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, onions and three colors of bell peppers for superb taste.
Gluten Free Veggie Breakfast Casserole is also great to serve for Meatless Mondays.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Pour a few tablespoonfuls of olive oil in a LARGE skillet. Add broccoli florets, yellow squash, zucchini and mushrooms. Saute about 5 minutes.
Add green onions and yellow, orange and red bell peppers. Stir to combine and saute an additional 3-5 minutes.
Spray a 10×15″ glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cut crusts off gluten free bread. Slice bread into cubes and sprinkle into the bottom of the prepared dish.
Add spinach and tomatoes.
Saute a few minutes until spinach wilts.
Spread veggie mixture over top of gluten free bread cubes. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Whisk eggs, half-and-half cream, salt and pepper.
Pour egg mixture over top of cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour until hot and bubbly.
Gluten Free Veggie Breakfast Casserole is a great dish to make for holiday breakfasts like Easter, Mother’s Day or other special occasion brunches.
Here’s the recipe.
GLUTEN FREE VEGGIE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
(My own concoction)
- 1 loaf [url href=”http://www.rudisbakery.com/” target=”_blank” title=”rudi’s gluten free bread”]Rudi’s[/url] multigrain gluten free sandwich bread
- olive oil
- 5-oz. fresh spinach
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped orange bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 8-oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 yellow squash, sliced and quartered
- 1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 ½ cups frozen broccoli florets
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups[url href=”http://www.kraftrecipes.com/home.aspx” target=”_blank” title=”kraft cheese”] Kraft[/url] sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 6 eggs
- 3 ½ cups half-and-half or milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms and broccoli and sauté veggies in olive oil about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add red, orange, and yellow bell peppers and green onions, and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until peppers soften.
- Add tomatoes and spinach and cook a couple of minutes until spinach wilts.
- Remove from burner.
- Spray a large 10×15” glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut off crusts of bread, then cut bread into cubes.
- Place enough bread cubes in prepared baking dish to cover the bottom.
- Spread veggies over top of bread.
- Sprinkle veggies with Italian seasoning.
- Use more if desired.
- Then sprinkle with cheese.
- Whisk eggs in medium mixing bowl.
- Add half-and-half or milk, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Whisk to combine and pour mixture evenly over cheese in baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes to an hour or when casserole is bubbly and set.
This vegetarian casserole tastes so wonderfully you may want to make this every time you serve a big country breakfast.
Doesn’t Gluten Free Veggie Breakfast Casserole look marvelous?
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $19.99Was: $25.49