Gluten Free Living – 2015
Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash is so mouthwatering. I love spaghetti squash in recipes – whether in meatless main dishes or as a side. Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash is one of those delicious recipes you can certainly eat either way. It’s extremely low in calories, healthy, clean eating, gluten free and vegan. The flavors mix so well together too. Did I mention it’s also very economical?
I had a spaghetti squash sitting in a basket on my counter for over a month. I had planned to make it for a certain recipe. For whatever reason that never came to pass but I really needed to use it up. I ran across this recipe and ended up spending hours on that website pinning all kinds of delicious looking recipes!
Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash is served with the spaghetti squash on the bottom of the plate. Then you top it with a mixture of cooked tomatoes, lemon juice and zest, basil, parsley, thyme and garlic. It’s garnished with yellow tomatoes (not always easy to find), parsley, more lemon zest and garlic. It’s a wonderful treat to the palate. No kidding. If you enjoy garlic, this recipe is for you. It has all the Mediterranean flavors you love like tomatoes, olive oil, lemon, garlic and basil. Together they are mouthwatering and delicious.
If you’re looking for a dynamite, wholesome recipe using spaghetti squash with other fresh veggies and herbs that has a Mediterranean feel to it, then you need to give Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash a try. It’s one of those recipes that will have you salivating in no time. The olive oil, lemon, garlic and basil provide such delicious, savory goodness. They permeate the squash oozing down into it the longer it sits, so that you will want to keep on eating! This dish is a great way to use up garden produce and get your kids to eat their veggies. 🙂
Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash is a healthy, very low calorie main dish meal or serve it as a side dish.
Every bite of Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash is mouthwatering!
This is a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and pulp and discard.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place squash cut-side-down on parchment paper. Bake at 375 for about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until squash is completely cooked through.
To make topping: Place olive oil in a skillet. Add tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, part of the garlic, part of the parsley and thyme.
Cook about 5-10 minutes until juice cooks down somewhat.
Have extra lemon zest, parsley and garlic on hand for toppings.
To serve: Scoop out the strands of spaghetti squash and place on individual plates or a serving platter. Top with cooked tomato mixture, fresh yellow tomatoes, garlic, parsley and lemon zest.
Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash is a wonderful meatless main dish.
Here’s the recipe.
MEDITERRANEAN SPAGHETTI SQUASH
(Recipe adapted from A Family Feast)
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided use
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for drizzling over entrée
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped, divided use
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest, divided use
- 1 yellow tomato, chopped or use about 1 cup quartered grape yellow tomatoes
- Cut spaghetti squash in half from top to bottom.
- Remove seeds and place on a cookie sheet spread with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375° for about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes, or until squash will pull away easily from the shell with a fork.
- Remove squash from shell and place on serving platter.
- Meanwhile, make up tomato mixture.
- Place olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, half of the garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add half of the parsley, basil, thyme, lemon juice and half of the lemon zest.
- Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining garlic, parsley and lemon zest.
- Chop yellow tomato and set aside.
- To assemble dish: Place spaghetti squash on a large serving platter.
- Pour tomato mixture over top of spaghetti squash.
- Sprinkle with the remaining garlic/parsley mixture.
- Top with chopped yellow tomatoes.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over top of all.
This is a great way to use up garden produce.
Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash is good down to the last bite!